Sunday, September 2, 2012

Vanishing Species - Project 1



I call this triptych "Vanishing Species." It was inspired by a book I own that consists of the world's endangered species. Unfortunately, the book is quite thick, full of animals that are endangered of going extinct. Therefore, I scanned some images of the creatures from this book and layered different factors that contribute to their vanishment with them in Photoshop. The 'fashion' symbols in these pieces I scanned from magazines, i.e the hat, glasses, bow, all represent the way humans morph animals to be what they want them to be - using them for selfish reasons/disregarding the animals' feelings. The numbers, text, lines & shapes (scanned from books and found on the internet) are all more self-explanatory: representing both the dwindling numbers and ultimate extinction. I put a lot of thought and work into this triptych and am overall really happy with the way my montages turned out; this project strengthened my photoshop skills and my ability to connect images with a certain concept. 

3 comments:

  1. When I first looked over your panels I was very drawn to the animals and how you featured them. The theme and colors are visually appealing. I began to read your statement, finding it interesting that some of the animals featured are considered endangered or going extinct. Besides the rhino I would've never thought the others were too. I really enjoyed your work and your statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that your message is clear. Just by looking at your panels I understood their meaning. It left me wanting to know more about these animals and their specific situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the aesthetic design of the piece, I receive a clear idea immediately that it is all about the wilderness and animals that reside within. This is achieved through usage of more earthly, sepia toned colors around the animals presented. It finds the connection to nature even through the digital format used. The colors used and the transparencies unify the three panels together so they can exist together, even though each (maybe develop the kangaroos panel more) has the power to exist alone. I will say there is a certain disconnect between your statement and visual however. You say "humans use animals for selfish reasons/disregarding feelings" in reference as fashion symbols. Yet, I don't see that pessimistic view conveyed in the images however. I find the inclusion of the hat on the rhino or bowtie on the bird cute, and not quite confrontational. I would consider in the future how to confront the viewer on that note. If cute is still desired, I'm sure there's a balance!

    ReplyDelete